This area allows those assigned the Master Admin role to create, edit and remove custom roles, create, edit, and delete users, as well as adjust user authorizations. Those granted the ‘User Manager’ authorization can also add, edit, and delete users and adjust user authorizations, however, it is possible to limit their access, so they can only grant access to areas of in\site to which they have been granted access.
All users and vendors associated with the company are listed along with their access permissions and authorizations. These are represented in the grid as colored icons and numeric values, making it very easy to see who has access to your facilities and/or what areas of in\site they can view. The USER MANAGEMENT module allows users with the Master Admin role or User Manager authorization to:
- Add, edit, and delete custom roles*
- Add, edit, and delete users
- Assign custom roles to users*
- Make changes to user authorizations
- Quickly retrieve a list of all users with in\site or data center access
- See when users with data center access last accessed one of your facilities
- View the last time users logged into in\site
- View User History to see when changes were made to the user records. Each change log record shows when the changes were made and by whom, and shows each value that had been modified.
NOTE: Users who are not associated with the Master Admin role or User Manager authorization will only be able to see and edit their own user record’s contact information.
*Only users associated with the Master Admin role can add, edit, delete, and assign roles.
User will be used exclusively for the in\site API
This option should only be used with service accounts created exclusively for the in\site API. Please refer to the in\site API documentation for more information.
User can request Remote Hands assistance
Enabling this option authorizes the user to request Remote Hands assistance from vXchnge Operations Support via phone or email without needing access to in\site. Anyone who will be requesting assistance from vXchnge Support, whether it be via Support tickets through in\site, or via phone or email, should have this option enabled.
User can grant temporary site access to others
Enabling this option authorizes the user to grant temporary site access to other people. This temporary site access can be granted by submitting a new Support ticket with the ‘Site Access’ Support Type selected, or by escorting one of the authorized individuals into the data center. If a user does not have this option enabled, they will not be allowed to grant temporary site access to other individuals even if they create a new ‘Site Access’ support ticket.
Enabling this box gives the user the ability to login to the system. To complete the configuration, an email address must be entered in the user’s main contact information section.
If the ‘Send welcome email’ option exists, you have the option to have the system automatically send an email to the user, which provides a link that allows them to set their own password and specify a challenge question and answer for identity verification in the future. If you elect to disable the ‘Send welcome email’ option, the user will not be able to login to in\site until they receive the email and set their own password. The email can be sent later by clicking the ‘Send email to set/reset password’ link in the record of any user who already has in\site Access enabled.
If the ‘Send welcome email’ option does not exist on the user form, a password must be set for the user. The entered password must meet the following requirements:
- Must be at least eight characters in length
- Must contain at least 2 different types of the following character classes:
- Uppercase English (A, B, C, …
- Lowercase English (a, b, c, …
- Numbers (1, 2, 3, … )
- Special characters (!, #, $, … )
NOTE: Those associated with the Master Admin role can create new roles by clicking the New Role button on the User Management main page.
- Master Admin: A user with this default role has access to all areas of the system. Those assigned the Master Admin role can also create and assign other roles as needed.
- Custom Authorizations and Access: Selecting this “role” allows the Master Admin to set individual authorizations and access as needed.
NOTE: Those with the User Manager authorization, but who are not associated with the Master Admin role can only grant access to areas of in\site to which they have been given access.
To give the user access to the TICKETS, TRANSACTIONS, and/or ASSET COMPLIANCE module and related records, authorizations must also be selected either through the selection of an existing role or by manually setting them. The following authorizations are available for users and roles:
- Billing Transactions:
- Hide - This selection hides all invoices from the TRANSACTIONS area.
- View Only – This option allows the user to see all invoices but does not give them the ability to pay invoices online.
- Modify – This allows the user to pay invoices online.
- Order Transactions:
- Hide - This selection hides all sales orders and service orders from the TRANSACTIONS area.
- View Only – This allows the user to see all sales orders and service orders.
- Modify – This selection is not currently used and functions the same as the ‘View Only’ option above.
- Shipping Tickets:
- Hide - This hides all shipping tickets from the TICKETS area.
- View Only – This option allows the user to see all shipping tickets but does not allow them to create new shipping tickets or modify existing ones.
- Modify – This allows the user to create new shipping tickets and modify existing tickets.
- Support Tickets:
- Hide - This hides all support tickets from the TICKETS area.
- View Only – This option allows the user to see all support tickets but does not allow them to create new support tickets or modify existing ones.
- Modify – This allows the user to create new support tickets and modify existing tickets.
- Asset Compliance:
- Hide – This hides the ASSET COMPLIANCE area from the user.
- View Only – This allows the user to view the list of your IT assets and view their locations within the cabinets, but does not allow them to add, edit, or delete assets.
- Modify – This authorization gives the user the ability to add (including bulk import), edit, and delete IT assets installed with your cabinets.
- Online Ordering:
- Hide – This hides the online ordering capabilities from the user.
- View Only – This allows the user to view the online ordering area, but does not allow them to add new items to the cart, edit existing items in the cart, remove items from the cart or submit orders.
- Modify – This authorization gives the user the ability to place orders for new cross connects.
- Per Order Limit: This allows you to set a limit on the amount the user can spend on each order placed through in\site.
- Monthly Order Limit: This allows you to set a limit on the amount the user can spend each month on orders placed through in\site.
Data Center Management and Reporting Features:
- Bandwidth Usage: This option authorizes the user to view and report on bandwidth usage for any installed IP services over a specified period. It also allows the user to setup threshold notifications.
- Data Center Access Log: This option gives the user the ability to view up to 12 months of the company’s data center activity, and allows them to search, filter, and group the data as needed for reporting purposes.
- Compliance Reports: Users with this option enabled can download any of vXchnge’s compliance and security reports, including compliance bridge letters.
- IN\SITE Access Log: This option gives the user the ability to view the complete list of the company’s user login activity to in\site and allows them to search, filter, and group the data as needed for reporting purposes.
- Power Usage: Allows users to view the kW or Amps of power being used by any of the company’s power circuits or cabinets. This also allows the user to generate power reports that include all your power circuits. Additionally, the user can setup threshold notifications.
- Data Center Floorplan: This option allows the user to see a 2D model of the data center. Not only can they see the location of your company’s cabinets within the facility, it also allows them to see a summary of the power being used by the circuits installed within them using color codes.
- Create Public Grid Views: This option allows the user to save views that are visible to anyone within your organization. This also authorizes them to delete or update saved public views.
Data Center Access
Enabling this option grants the user access to the data center on behalf of the company. If you have service in more than one vXchnge facility, the user can be granted access to multiple sites.
- Data Centers – The data center(s) the user is authorized to access
- Data Center Access Enable Date – The first day the user can enter the facility
- Data Center Access Expiration Date – The day that the user’s access to the facility ends
This option allows the user to receive notifications regarding planned business maintenance activity which may impact certain features and functions of the in\site Business Intelligence System.
Information and Weather Advisories
Precautionary notifications of a heightened awareness concerning an event occurring near the facility.
The user will receive notifications regarding unplanned event or activity resulting in increased risk to service interruption due to an unexpected change in facility or network operating status.
This option allows the user to receive notifications regarding planned facility or network maintenance activities performed by vXchnge or its service providers or carriers.
SMS Service Advisories
This allows the user to receive service advisory notifications via text message from the Operations Service Support Center regarding service affecting events. To receive these text messages you must have a mobile number entered in the Mobile Phone field.
NOTE: SMS text messages can only be sent to U.S. mobile phone numbers.
How to create a new user
- Click the New User button located in the upper right.
- At a minimum, enter the user's First Name, Last Name, email address, and at least one phone number.
- If you'd like to grant the user access to in\site, scroll down and enable the in\site Access option.
- Select the authorizations and access options you'd like the user to have while working within in\site. If you're not sure of what a specific authorization or access option enables for the user, refer to the above information or simply "hover" over the option to see more.
- By default, once the user record is saved an email will be sent, which allows the user to setup a challenge question and answer and a new password. If you'd prefer not to send the user this email automatically, make sure to disable the Send welcome email option under in\site Access prior to saving the user. To disable the welcome email functionality, you must first open the Admin link at the top, disable the 'Send welcome email to new in\site users' option, and then click Save.
- If you'd like the user to have access to the data center(s), enable the Data Center Access option. From here, you can optionally enter a Data Center Access Enable Date and End Date to limit the user's access to the facility.
- Once the user's contact information and access has been configured, click Submit at the bottom of the page.
How to edit an existing user
- Click the green ID link next to the user you would like to update.
- Make any necessary changes to the user's contact information, in\site authorizations, and/or data center access.
- Click Submit at the bottom of the page.
How to remove a user
- Click the green ID link next to the user you would like to remove.
- Click the Disable User button in the upper right.
- Click OK to confirm you would like to remove the user from the company's user list.